Hashtaggin' It in Art History

8:52 AM Wendy 0 Comments

In my Art History classes, I like to vary up the way we talk about art.  Sometimes our art discussions are long and detailed, like the time we spent the entire period discussing the ins and outs of Jan van Eyck's Arnolfini Portrait (one of my favorite works of Art, and always an interesting discussion!)  But other times I like to rapid fire responses, to get their initial response to an artwork.  So last week we played what I called "The Hashtag Game."  I would show an artwork, and then all at once, students were to reply with a hash tag.  I encouraged them to use the first thing that came to mind.  High school students can get self-conscious, so I reminded them that there were no wrong answers.  It wasn't about being right, it was about exercising their art response mussels. (Since I teach in a virtual school, the students responded by entering their hash tag in a chat pod.  In a brick & mortar classroom, this lesson can be done by writing on slips of paper, on the white board, or even using a tablet.)

These are the artworks I showed the class:

Yard Eggs, Sally Mann, 1991
Source:  Immediate Family by Sally Mann (Amazon)  or Christies (here)

Instillation by Margart Kilgallen
Source:  Here and there is also a great video on her at Art21

Detail of Cell (You Better Grow Up) by Louise Bourgeois, 1993
Source:  Louise Bourgeois by Robert Storr and image here

Castle and Sun by Paul Klee, 1928 (here)

What hash tag would you give them?

0 comments: