Teaching 3D Modeling -- Software options

2:34 PM Wendy 1 Comments


Student project designed in TinkerCad

Before I get started talking about the different projects I have designed for my Art classes, I wanted to talk a little bit about the programs I use, and go over how to select a program to teach 3D Modeling.  If you've never done 3D modeling before, it can be a little daunting, so I would recommend taking a course or at least playing around with it yourself before jumping in.  I think a lot teachers are hesitant to teach 3D modeling because it might not be something they ever learned, but with a little practice, you can learn enough to get your students started.



Made by the AutoDesk famiy of software, TinkerCad is an awesome place to get started with 3D modeling.  It's web-based and free, so it fits easily within any budget.  It's simple enough to be used by elementary age students, but offers enough variety and advanced features that it won't bore your more technically advanced students.


I'm hoping to put together some video tutorials and/or a downloadable guide book on how to get started teaching TinkerCad.  If this is something you would like to see, please let me know.

For elementary students, I've used the basic geometric shapes that are built into TinkerCad as the basis for the Geometry Robots unit.

Sculptris is the program I've used with my intermediate students.  So far, I've stuck with TinkerCad for elementary and middle grades, and only taught Sculptris to my high school students.  It's a great a program, but a bit buggy at times, so it demands a good deal of patience.  However, it's a great program for being able to sculpt in 3D.


This program was used with good success with my Art History students in the Mini Museum project.

Last, Blender is the program that I used with my advanced 3D Modeling students. It's another open-source program and it's really wonderful.  I start out the semester showing my students a demo reel of professional models and animations made with Blender so that they are aware that they are using a professional-level software.  It's fantastic, but definitely a lot more difficult than TinkerCad.  If you are new to teaching 3D modeling, you probably don't want to start with Blender, but there are a lot of tutorials and courses you can take if you want to learn it.  For students that have the skill set and maturity to learn Blender, it offers them a great deal more control over their final creations.

Some of my students used Blender for the jewelry design project and the Art History Mini Museum with great success. 

Those are just a few of a whole host of programs out there for 3D modeling.  What software do you use to teach 3D modeling?

1 comment:

  1. Generally excellent and productive data. It will be extremely useful for the understudies and will give an unmistakable thought regarding what's to come. Best 3d modeling services Denver, Colorado

    ReplyDelete